This braised cabbage recipe is one of my favorite side dishes with pork roasts, ribs, or chops. It uses simple ingredients and a simple cooking technique to make an amazing side dish. Apple Cider Vinegar Braised Red Cabbage is a little tangy and a little sweet. The combination of red cabbage, red onions, and raisins, along with a tangy-sweet braising liquid create a distinctive and complex flavor. The slow braising time creates a beautiful purple color that will make your mouth water.
Apples are a more traditional ingredient in braised cabbage recipes. I prefer to add either raisins or currants. They add a nice sweetness the same as apples, however, I like how they hold their shape better. And they have a nice dark color that complements the cabbage and red onions.
I serve this braised cabbage warm, however, I love it the next day served cold. These leftovers are amazing and work perfectly as a coleslaw. I love it served chilled with BBQ ribs, grilled brats, and chicken. A great, healthy, low-calorie alternative to creamy coleslaw. Occasionally when I make this recipe, I will add diced apples and pickled beets to the cold leftovers. This braised red cabbage (served cold) may become your new favorite coleslaw recipe.
Braised Red Cabbage Ingredients
- Red Cabbage: High in vitamins C and K. I shred the cabbage into approximately ½-inch slices. You don’t need to be too precise, the crunchy cabbage will soften during the braising.
- Red Onions and Garlic: These onions have a nice beautiful color and add a little heat to the braised cabbage.
- Raisins or Currants: nice and sweet, they plump up as they absorb the braising liquid. A really wonderful contrast to the apple cider vinegar.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and White Wine: This braising liquid is sharp and sweet. If you don’t cook with wine, apple juice is a great substitute.
- Salt, Sugar, and Red Pepper Flakes: Not too much of anyone spice, just enough to wake up all the flavors.
Please check out my recipes for Juicy Pan-Seared Pork Chops and Ginger Beer Apple Sauce. Braised red cabbage goes perfectly with pork chops and apple sauce. I highly recommend them as a complete meal option. Please click the links to see the other recipes.
Here is my recipe for Braised Red Cabbage
Apple Cider Vinegar Braised Red Cabbage
- 1/2 Head Red Cabbage Shredded into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 Cup Red Onion Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup Raisins Or currants
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup White Wine Or apple juice
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red pepper Flakes
- Shred the cabbage, slice the onions, and crush the garlic.
- Add all ingredients to a large pot with a cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low. Cover and gently simmer for 45-minutes