Slow-cooked over low heat for several hours. The fork-tender boneless short ribs with a thick decadent chili sauce are perfect for a cold, wet, wintry day. My Boneless Short Ribs Chili recipe uses the same basic spice mix I use in my Real Texas Chili recipe. But unlike Texas Chili, I like the addition of black beans to this mix.
A lot of chili recipes start with ground beef, which is what I’ve always had since childhood. But I like the large chunks of beef in chili, more like beef stew. The flavor of the beef and the texture are still strong and have a presence that seems to be missing in other chili recipes. And boneless short ribs are the perfect cut of beef for this recipe.
Boneless Short Ribs vs Short Ribs
Boneless short ribs are a cut from the shoulder portion of the cow and are similar to the chuck roast, the boneless short ribs have been butchered and trimmed off much of the fat typical of the chuck roast.
The short rib is much more expensive (you’re paying for inedible bones) and comes from the plate or front belly of the animal and is much more marbled. Although technically the same muscle group the texture is slightly different
I’m a huge fan of the Frito Pie! Steaming hot chili poured over a bag of Fritos corn chips is my type of Soul food. Top it with cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced green onions, and sliced jalapenos and you are in hog heaven. Once you have this Boneless Short Ribs and Black Bean Chili cooked and ready to serve, you’re only halfway there, the toppings are what can make or break a good chili recipe. So, if you’ve come this far, make sure you have a good assortment of garnishes and toppings to go with your chili.
These are some of my favorite toppings:
- Fresh or pickled jalapeno slices
- Diced green onions and slices of red onions bring a nice kick
- Either Monterey Jack cheese or Queso Fresco cheese (or both). Queso Fresco is my favorite and it’s very easy to make yourself if it isn’t available in stores near you.
- Fresh Limes brighten the flavors of the spices
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced avocados add a creamy texture that will knock your socks off.
- Fritos Corn Chips. Frito pie is a classic way to eat chili that goes way back
- Crisp Bacon, I mean, yeah, bacon
Here is my Boneless Short Ribs Chili recipe:
Boneless Short Ribs Chili
- 3 Pounds Boneless Short Ribs 2-inch chunks
- 8 Ounces Bacon 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Cups Onions Diced
- 8 Cloves Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans Diced Tomatoes
- 3 14-ounce cans Black Beans Drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 28 Ounces Water Rinse the Black Bean cans
- Add bacon to a large heavy-bottomed pot over high heat for 1 minute until fat starts to render
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes, add the beef, salt, and garlic and cook the beef, stirring occasionally for approximately 10-15 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, and water bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer
- Add the chili powder, and cayenne pepper, simmer for around 3 hours, more or less, until the short ribs are fork-tender
- About 30 minutes before serving, add the black pepper, dried oregano, ground cumin, and smoked paprika
Thanks for visiting my Food Blog, I hope you enjoy my Boneless Short Ribs Chili recipe, please come back again soon! Bon appetit, Steven