The classic Old Fashioned cocktail gets an Italian twist with the addition of the vanilla-anise flavored Galliano liqueur. Galliano is a sweet Italian Liqueur. It’s herbal, citrus, and woodsy flavors compliment the complexity of the Bourbon Perfectly. Equally important, Galliano adds a unique depth of flavor to this classic Old Fashioned cocktail. As a matter of fact, this is perhaps my favorite Galliano cocktail.
Galliano originated in the Tuscan region of Italy in the late 1800s. Although Galliano is typically served as a digestif at the end of a meal, it is widely used as a component in many cocktails. Including my Gin & Galliano Sour and Grand Marnier Wallbanger cocktails.
The combination of Bourbon and bitters work really well together. In this cocktail, Galliano with its complex flavor profile of herbs, citrus, wood, and vanilla, acts as a very mild, subtle bitters. Coupled with its herbal qualities, it also adds a hint of sweetness that enhances the Bourbon. The end result is an amazing Old Fashioned cocktail.
Galliano and Bourbon Old Fashioned Ingredients
- Bourbon is an American whiskey. It is believed that Bourbon gets its name from Bourbon County, Kentucky. The American Bourbon Association website has great information about this amazing whiskey.
- Galliano: Galliano liqueur is golden yellow in color with a light green hue and a cool, iconic bottle shape. The Galliano recipe is a closely guarded secret, similar to a medieval elixir of herbs, plants, roots, barks, spices, and flower seeds. Not to mention, a great compliment to Bourbon.
- Angostura Bitters and Sugar Cube: These are very traditional Old Fashioned cocktail ingredients. A dash of bitters over the sugar cube gets muddled directly in the Old-Fashioned glass.
Here is my recipe for the Galliano and Bourbon Old Fashioned
Galliano and Bourbon Old Fashioned
- 2 Ounces Bourbon
- 1 Ounce Galliano Liqueur
- 1 Sugar Cube
- 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- Orange Zest
- Add sugar cube and Angostura Bitters to an Old Fashioned glass, muddle well.
- Add ice, Bourbon and Galliano liqueur, stir briefly
- Garnish with orange zest