Crisp and crunchy, this delicious and healthy Apple and Brussels Sprouts Slaw recipe is tossed in an apple cider vinaigrette and is loaded with flavor. The sweet and spicy combination of diced apples, carrots, celery, onions, and radishes complement the Brussels sprouts. This Brussels Sprouts Cole Slaw recipe is the perfect side to any BBQ. For additional crunch, I leave the carrots and apples in larger pieces, I think it’s a little more visually appealing as well.
This Brussels Sprouts Recipe is Ridiculously Healthy
I love Brussels sprouts and when I looked at the nutritional information of each of the ingredients, I was pretty amazed. There is a huge amount of vitamin C, calcium, fiber, and antioxidants. This is by far the healthiest recipe I’ve made on the blog so far. And what better way to kick start the New Year than with a healthy recipe with ingredients that are readily available, year-round.
This recipe is very flexible and substitution or addition of ingredients is no problem. Toasted nuts such as almonds, pecans, or salted sunflower seeds add a great crunch. For a little sweetness, dried cranberries or apricots would be nice as well. If you don’t mind meat, bacon bits would be a tasty addition, but it does take it in a totally different direction.
Here is my Apple and Brussels Sprout Coleslaw Recipe:
Apple and Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- 1 1/12 Pounds Brussels Sprouts Shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Carrots Diced or shredded
- 1 Cup Apples Diced. About 2 apples
- 3/4 Cup Celery Diced
- 3/4 Cup Red Onion Sliced
- 8 Radishes Sliced or diced
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Lemon Zest and juice
- 1/3 Cup Coarse Grain Mustard
- 3 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Celery Seeds
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing, whisk well. Add the diced apple and toss to coat to prevent it from discoloring.
- Add all remaining ingredients, toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve