For my bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin recipe, crispy bacon surrounds a moist, tender, and juicy pork tenderloin. Gently smoked on the grill and simply seasoned with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. I served it with buttery, and steaming hot, rosemary, thyme, and oregano, herbed new potatoes. The herbed new potatoes were tightly sealed in aluminum foil, with butter, red onions, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs then cooked directly over the hot coals for 45 minutes.
I make this pork tenderloin recipe with indirect heat on a charcoal grill for roughly around 45 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer measures 145F. I occasionally toss bits of wood over the coals to give the bacon-wrapped tenderloin and the sizzling hot bacon just a whisper of smokiness.
How to Bacon-Wrap Pork Tenderloin
- Bacon: I always by the bacon from the deli counter. It’s better quality and for some reason, it is usually less expensive than the prepackaged stuff that has weird additives. The thick-cut bacon is perfect for wrapping pork tenderloin.
- Lay 8 slices of bacon down side by side on top of a foil-lined sheet tray. Sprinkle the bacon with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Trim the pork tenderloin of any tough tissue and fat. Sprinkle the pork tenderloin with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Lay the pork tenderloin lengthwise across the top of the bacon.
- Start at one end of the pork tenderloin and wrap the bacon around it. Use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place, and repeat for all the bacon slices.
Here’s my Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin recipe:
Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Charcoal Grill
Bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin ingredients
- 2 Pounds Pork Tenderloin
- 16 Slices Bacon Thick sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Pounds Potatoes 1-inch dice
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Oregano
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin Instructions
- Trim the pork tenderloins of excess fat and connective tissues
- Line a sheet tray with aluminum foil. Lay 8 slices of bacon down side by side on top of the foil. Sprinkle the bacon with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper
- Sprinkle the pork tenderloin with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Lay the pork tenderloin lengthwise across the top of the bacon. Start at one end of the pork tenderloin and wrap the bacon around it, use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place, repeat for all the bacon slices. Repeat process for the second pork tenderloin
- Light the charcoal and pile it on one side of the grill. While waiting for the charcoal to get to the right stage (glowing coals, not raging fire) prepare the Herbed Potatoes
Herbed Potato Instructions
- Lay a sheet of aluminum foil on the countertop. Place all the potato ingredients on top of the foil. Fold up the foil to create a tightly sealed package. Lay a second sheet of aluminum foil on the counter and double wrap the potatoes.
- Place the potato package directly over the coals. The coals should be medium-hot
- Place the pork tenderloin on the opposite side of the grill away from the coals. Place some wood chips on the grate over the coals to gently smoke the meat, cover the grill
- Turn the potato package ever 10 minutes. It is not necessary to turn the pork tenderloin
- Roast the pork tenderloin until an instant-read thermometer reads 145F° (63C°). Cover with a sheet of foil and let the pork tenderloin rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Remove potatoes after around 45-50 minutes