Inspired by Yucca con Ajo, these Cuban Mojo Potatoes are loaded with flavor. Combined with garlic, onions, olive oil, lime, and seasonings, sealed tightly in aluminum foil and cooked directly over the charcoals. They are the perfect accompaniment to the Cuban Mojo Chicken or my Mojo Shrimp with Garlic Spinach and Mushrooms.
I was planning on cooking yucca with a mojo sauce, but there were only two pieces of yucca left and they were not in good condition. So, I decided to experiment with Cuban Potatoes cooked with many of the same ingredients I would have used with making Yucca con Ajo. As it turns out, cooking the Cuban Potatoes in foil packets on the grill is super easy and a lot less trouble than the yucca.
The Cuban Mojo Potatoes turned out amazing with great caramelization on the onions. The lime juice added a great new dimension which really compliments either the Cuban Mojo Chicken or my Mojo Shrimp with Garlic Spinach and Mushrooms. We missed having the Yucca con Ajo, with black beans and rice, but I think the potatoes will be a part of every Mojo cookout we have from now on.
I think all I need now is a Cuba Libre or an El Presidente cocktail, some Salsa dance music on the radio and I am good to go.
Here’s how I make my Cuban Mojo Potatoes:
Cuban Mojo Potatoes
- 1 1/2 Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, or other high starch potatoes Large Dice
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Lime Cut into wedges
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Red Onion Sliced
- 6 Cloves Garlic Crushed and Chopped
- 3 Scallions, white and green parts Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro Rough Chopped
- Lay a sheet of aluminum foil on the countertop, place all the ingredients (except cilantro) on top of the foil
- Fold up the foil to create a tightly sealed package
- Lay a second sheet of aluminum foil on the counter and double wrap the potatoes. Make sure the package is tightly sealed
- Place the potatoes over the hottest part of the grill, turn every 10 minutes, for about 40-50 minutes.
- Open the foil packet and pour the potatoes, add cilantro and stir to combine