My Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Fennel recipe combines two of my favorite roasted vegetables. The intensity of the fennel is mellowed dramatically by roasting and complements the flavor of the roasted Brussels sprouts. Before roasting they are tossed together in a simple balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. With only a few ingredients and even fewer steps in the process. It is one of my go-to, quick, and easy recipes. I love the classic Brussels Sprouts in Balsamic Vinegar recipe. However, adding in the fennel and Parmesan Cheese, takes this Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe to a whole new level.
How to choose Brussels Sprouts at the grocery store
When roasting Brussels sprouts, you want to start with the best quality you can. Fresh and healthy Brussels Sprouts should have the following characteristics:
- Bright green color
- Firm and heavy for their size
- Tightly packed leaves
- No yellowing or wilting leaves. Some yellow leaves are normal, but a lot of yellow could be a sign of age and indicate they were picked a long time ago
- No black spots, black spots could be a type of fungus
- Smaller Brussels sprouts are usually sweeter and more tender than larger ones.
Fennel and Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
- Fennel: A member of the carrot family. Fennel’s intense anise flavor mellows dramatically when roasted. I like about 1/2 of a bulb of roasted fennel per serving. I actually grow fennel because the Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar likes to eat it, aww.
- Brussels Sprouts: These have an Earthy, sweet, nutty flavor when roasted. Roasted Brussels sprouts are crisp and golden brown on the outside and creamy on the inside.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: A simple vinaigrette of olive oil and balsamic vinegar add a great depth of flavor to the roasted Brussels sprouts and fennel.
- Cheese: Use a good quality Parmigiano-Reggiano, not the prepackaged stuff. I like to buy a wedge of cheese and grind it myself so I know exactly what I’m using.
- Seasonings: A simple seasoning of salt and black pepper is all that roasted Brussels sprouts require. The great caramelization of the roasted fennel and Brussels sprouts with Balsamic vinegar has incredible flavor and only need simple seasonings.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Fennel
- 1 Pound Brussels Sprouts Halved
- 2 Fennel Bulb Quartered
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix the Balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl, mix well. Add the Brussels sprouts to the bowl toss to coat them well. Then use a slotted spoon to remove the Brussels sprouts to a parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Add the fennel to the bowl toss to coat them well, use the slotted spoon to move the fennel to the sheet tray
- Sprinkle the Brussels sprouts and fennel with salt and black pepper
- Roast in the oven for 50-60 minutes until tender and golden brown
- Sprinkle the Brussels sprouts and fennel with Parmesan cheese, serve hot.