My Tequila Kamikaze recipe is the answer to the skinny Margarita. I love a good, top-shelf, high-quality Margarita, but there is a lot of sugar in most of them and in an effort to fight the war on useless carbs, some people have turned to the dreaded Skinny Margarita. But, let’s be real, the Skinny Margarita sucks, I’m sorry I just can’t stand the after taste of artificial sugar. And to be perfectly honest, the super sticky sweet Kool-Aid type Margarita is really bad too.
So why even bother with the sugar at all? My solution is the Tequila Kamikaze; Tequila, Grand Marnier, and lime juice. It is exactly the recipe for the traditional Kamikaze cocktail, simply substituting the vodka for Tequila. Yes, it does taste a little stronger without all that sugar to cover up the actual flavor of the Tequila and Grand Marnier but try my Tequila Kamikaze recipe with only 228 calories I believe you’ll be a convert.
I regularly get emails and questions about which are the best Grand Marnier cocktails, or whats a good Grand Marnier recipe, and this recipe is one of the best. Next time you are tempted to order a skinny Margarita, just ask for this cocktail instead. And have the bartender substitute a good top shelf Tequila for the vodka, and Grand Marnier for the Triple Sec. You’ll be happy you did.
Tequila Kamikaze Ingredients
- Tequila: Distilled from the blue agave plant, Tequila originated near the city of Santiago de Tequila in the state of Jalisco in Mexico. The original Kamikaze cocktail has vodka in it, we substitute it with Tequila for the Tequila Kamikaze.
- Grand Marnier: The original Kamikaze uses Triple Sec. The Tequila Kamikaze uses a top-shelf orange liqueur, making this one of my favorite Grand Marnier cocktails.
- Lime Juice: Tequila and lime juice go together like two peas in a pod. The tartness of the lime juice and the sweetness of the Grand Marnier go perfectly with the Tequila.
- Smoked Salt: Tequila, especially Mezcal has a smokiness to it that I love. This is a top-shelf cocktail, the smoked salt makes it stand out as one.
- Cocktail Shaker
- 2 Ounces Tequila or Mezcal
- 1 Ounce Grand Marnier
- 1/2 Lime Juice Only
- Pinch Smoked Salt or plain salt
- Slice of Lime
- Smoked Salt rimmed glass
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice, shake well until ice cold
- Serve on the rocks in a salt-rimmed old fashioned glass
- Garnish with a slice of lime
Thank you for visiting my Food Blog. I hope you enjoy my Kamikaze recipe. Please come back and visit again soon! Cheers and bon appetit, Steven