Pasta e Fagioli translated into English is ‘pasta with beans’ in this case it’s Tortellini with White Beans and Baby Greens. This tortellini soup is one of the quick weeknight meals we like to make when we’re short on time and usually running late. This Tortellini recipe is a great weeknight meal, because it’s made with basic pantry items. Well, mostly basic pantry items, I do use fresh spinach and fresh rosemary, however, everything else I always have on hand. Although I use tortellini in this recipe, any pasta shape will work for this delicious pasta soup. I like the tortellini, ravioli, or small-shaped pasta such as ditalini for this recipe.
We’re always looking for new Tortellini recipes, this is one of our favorites!
Bringing the broth to a boil is the most time-consuming part of cooking the tortellini with white beans soup. I sautéed the garlic in a little olive oil, added the tomatoes, beans, and broth. I brought the whole thing to a boil then added the pasta and spinach, it was on the table in less than 30 minutes. This Tortellini recipe is going to be one of your new ‘go-to’ quick and easy, one-pot dinner options.
An easy Tortellini soup on the table in less than 30-minutes!
Tortellini with White Beans Soup Ingredients
- Tortellini: A ring-shaped pasta that is stuffed with either meats or cheese. Although I use Tortellini in this bean and pasta soup (Pasta Fagioli), any pasta shape will work. I prefer to use tortellini or ravioli that is stuffed with cheese rather than meat.
- Cannellini Beans: The cannellini bean originated in Italy and has a mild nutty flavor and creamy texture. It is the perfect bean for this tortellini recipe and is a very healthy addition to the Pasta Fagioli. Always rinse beans, you don’t want to add the liquid that is in the can.
- Baby Spinach: Super healthy and delicious, the baby spinach is loaded with vitamins and minerals. The bright green leaves add great color and texture to the soup. And we all need more green leafy vegetables in our diets.
- Tomatoes: The tomatoes add body and a nice pop of color to the tortellini soup. The recipe calls for canned tomatoes just to make it a little easier and a pantry item. However, fresh tomatoes are a great addition to the tortellini and white beans.
- Garlic and Olive Oil: The garlic is optional, I’ve made this Pasta Fagioli with and without garlic and it is great either way. A little drizzle of olive oil is always delicious in an Italian soup like this.
- Herbs and Spices: The recipe calls for fresh rosemary, however, dried herbs are great as well. If using dried herbs, I would use basil and oregano rather than rosemary. I don’t really care for dried rosemary, it’s too crunchy for my taste.
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock: Use the best quality stock you can, there is no substitute for good chicken stock. Try my Instant Pot Homemade Chicken Stock recipe. The difference between homemade and store-bought stock is like night and day.
Here is my Tortellini with White Beans and Baby Greens recipe
Tortellini with White Beans and Baby Greens
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary Finely Chopped, (dried basil and oregano are good substitutes)
- 1 14-Ounce Can Tomatoes Diced
- 1 14-Ounce Can Cannellini Beans Rinsed
- 1 Quart Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 8 Ounces Tortellini Any flavor stuffed pasta or pasta shapes will work
- 5 Ounces Fresh Baby Spinach Rough chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Crusty Bread
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes, rosemary, and garlic, sauté for approximately 30-seconds, don’t let the garlic brown
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, and rinsed beans. Raise temperature to high and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add pasta. Cook based on the manufacturer’s instructions. During the last 2 minutes of the pasta cooking time, add the spinach and cover to steam.
- Remove from heat, uncover and stir in the spinach. Taste the soup, adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish with Parmesan and serve with a crusty bread.