This is cold, real cold. That first sip is probably going to give you a brain-freeze, lol you’ve been warned!
A great frozen blender cocktail, my Watermelon Bourbon Slushie combines frozen watermelon, peaches, bourbon, and Aperol, ridiculously cold and not too sweet, this frozen slushie is one of my favorite summertime thirst quenchers. When we get a really good watermelon, I’ll dice some into cubes, measure a few individual servings, place them in zip bags, and freeze them. Ready to go in a moment’s notice these little ice cubes of watermelon and peaches are perfect with your favorite whiskey.
Watermelon Bourbon Slushie Ingredients
- Watermelon: Roughly 92% water and 6% sugar, perfect for freezing and perfect for cocktails. I measure 1-cup per drink and freeze it in plastic baggies.
- Peaches: Any variety will work, they add a nice sweetness and color to the slushie. Peaches have always been one of my favorite additions to Bourbon and they are the perfect accent to the watermelon. At 88% water, they also freeze well. 1/2-cup per cocktail, premeasured, and frozen in plastic baggies.
- Aperol: This slightly bitter, slightly sweet Italian apértif highlights the best qualities of the bourbon. Adding bitters to cocktails adds complexity, depth, and character.
- Bourbon: This is my favorite type of whiskey. Bourbon has a nice spicy quality, good floral notes, a smokiness, and a nice amount of intensity from the alcohol content.
How to Choose a Watermelon
Choose one with a nice yellow spot on the melon, not white. This yellow spot is where the melon lays on the ground when it is growing as the melon ripens, the spot will change from green to white to yellow. Yellow is ripe.
This is my recipe for a Watermelon Bourbon Slushie
Watermelon Bourbon Slushie
- 1 Cup Watermelon Frozen
- 1/2 Cup Peaches Frozen
- 1/4 Cup Ice
- 2 Ounces Bourbon
- 1 Ounce Aperol
- Watermelon Slice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh mint and a small slice of cold watermelon