My Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing recipe has a wonderfully pungent, slightly sour flavor and chunky texture perfect for a loaded Wedge Salad. Sour cream and buttermilk are very complementary to the cheese, and this classic salad dressing gets a little extra kick from fresh garlic. Rather than iceberg lettuce, I prefer to make my wedge salad with romaine or similar lettuce that has both the cool, crunchy texture of iceberg, but also has a good amount of green leafy bits as well.
Blue cheese is an aged cheese that has a fairly intense, sharp, pungent, and salty flavor with a distinctive smell that is unmistakably blue cheese. The characteristic blue color is from the harmless mold, penicillium roqueforti or Penicillium glaucum. I prefer to use a whole wedge of cheese when making my Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing recipe rather than the pre-crumbled stuff you get in a tub. I like to actually see what I’m buying and I love to crumble the cheese myself, and yes, I eat most of the cheese while making the dressing, so buy extra!
Forget to buy Buttermilk? Check out my recipe for a Buttermilk Substitute here!
Here is my Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe:
Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 4 Ounces Blue Cheese Plus extra for garnish
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Combine all ingredients except blue cheese, whisk until smooth
- Just before serving, add 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese, mix with a fork gently to keep chunks of blue cheese intact. You can mix as much as you prefer to make either a smooth or chunky texture
Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
Fresh and summery, a Blue Cheese Wedge Salad is a great appetizer or perfect as a light summer supper. This classic recipe normally uses iceberg lettuce, however, I prefer Romaine lettuce for a wedge salad. I need some dark green leafy veggies in my diet!
- ½ Romaine Lettuce cut lengthwise and left intact
- Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 Chopped Hard-Boiled Egg per serving
- Finely Diced Red Onion
- Sliced Radish
- Diced Crispy Bacon
- Diced Tomatoes
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Blue Cheese Crumbles