This is my version of the classic Shakshuka recipe of eggs poached directly in a spicy tomato sauce that is well seasoned with onions and bell peppers, garlic, cumin, and paprika. Popular throughout the Mediterranean and the Middle East, this recipe is a one-pot, 30-minute, vegetarian-friendly crowd pleaser. My Shakshuka with Spinach recipe is perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner. I cook mine on the stovetop, start to finish, a tightly fitting lid will gently steam the eggs from the top while the sauce poaches them from beneath. Sprinkled with chopped cilantro or parsley at the finish, with a little feta cheese and my Homemade Pita Bread, this Shakshuka with Spinach recipe is definitely my favorite egg dish.
What Ingredients are in a traditional Shakshuka recipe?
The classic Shakshuka recipe ingredients are traditionally just tomato, onions, bell peppers and seasonings, but I like to add a variety of ingredients depending on my mood. I’m always looking for a way to sneak some fresh, leafy greens into my diet, so this recipe has chopped fresh spinach added. The basic shakshuka recipe is so extremely versatile it begs to be experimented with. I have used everything from beans to potatoes, mushrooms, lentils, carrots, etc. etc. etc.
Here’s my Shakshuka with Spinach recipe:
Shakshuka with Spinach
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Red Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers Red and Yellow, thinly sliced
- 3 Cups Tomatoes Diced
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Cups Fresh Spinach Chopped
- 6-8 Eggs
- Chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Warm Pita Bread
- Heat a heavy-bottomed non-stick skillet with a lid over medium-high heat
- Add olive oil and onions, sauté until softened, but not brown
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, water, and seasonings, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover for 10 minutes
- Add spinach, cover for 5 minutes
- Stir in the wilted spinach, with the back of a ladle, make little ‘wells’ for the eggs to sit-in
- Gently crack the eggs into each well, cover and cook on low heat for approximately 8-10 minutes
- Garnish with either cilantro or parsley and serve with warm pita bread
Enjoy the Shakshuka!!! Sorry Huevos Rancheros and Poached Eggs, but this is my favorite egg dish!
Thanks for visiting my Food Blog, I hope you enjoy my Shakshuka with Spinach recipe, please come back and visit again soon! Bon appetit, Steven