My Blue Cheese Dressing recipe has a wonderfully pungent, slightly sour flavor and chunky texture perfect for a loaded Wedge Salad. Sour cream and buttermilk are very complementary to the cheese, and this classic salad dressing gets a little extra kick from fresh garlic. Rather than iceberg lettuce, I prefer to make my wedge salad with romaine or similar lettuce that has both the cool, crunchy texture of iceberg, but also has a good amount of green leafy bits as well.
Blue cheese is an aged cheese that has a fairly intense, sharp, pungent, and salty flavor with a distinctive smell that is unmistakably blue cheese. The characteristic blue color is from the harmless mold, penicillium roqueforti or Penicillium glaucum. I prefer to use a whole wedge of cheese when making this recipe rather than the pre-crumbled stuff you get in a tub. I like to actually see what I’m buying and I love to crumble the cheese myself, and yes, I eat most of the cheese while making the dressing, so buy extra!
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
- Buttermilk: The slightly sour flavor and creamy consistency of buttermilk are perfect for this type of creamy dressing. I have a great recipe for substitute buttermilk.
- Sour Cream: Reinforcing that sour creamy consistency and thickening the dressing, sour cream is a great addition.
- Blue Cheese: Any variety of blue cheese will work in this recipe. The best blue cheese for dressing is either gorgonzola, stilton, or Roquefort.
- Fresh Garlic: Garlic adds a nice kick and added pungency that compliments the cheese.
- White Wine Vinegar: A little acid helps all the flavors pop in this dressing.
- Salt and Pepper: I like red pepper flakes in the dressing, but freshly cracked black pepper would work as well.
Forget to buy Buttermilk? Check out my recipe for a Buttermilk Substitute
Here is my Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe:
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 4 Ounces Blue Cheese Plus extra for garnish
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Combine all ingredients except blue cheese, whisk until smooth
- Just before serving, add 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese, mix with a fork gently to keep chunks of blue cheese intact. You can mix as much as you prefer to make either a smooth or chunky texture
Fresh and summery, my blue cheese dressing is perfect on a wedge salad is a great appetizer or perfect as a light summer supper. This classic recipe normally uses iceberg lettuce, however, I prefer Romaine lettuce for a wedge salad. I need some dark green leafy veggies in my diet!
- 1/4- 1/2 Romaine Lettuce cut lengthwise and left intact
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 Chopped Hard-Boiled Egg per serving
- Finely Diced Red Onion
- Sliced Radish
- Diced Crispy Bacon
- Diced Tomatoes
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
How Long will Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Keep?
Look at the expiration dates on the ingredients that good bad the quickest. In this dressing recipe, the buttermilk and the sour cream would be the first to go bad. I use those expiration dates to determine the expiration date of the dressing.
There are no preservatives in the dressing, so please keep it refrigerated until ready to use.