Roast Chicken with crispy skin & juicy meat
My buttermilk marinade recipe produces a roast chicken with extra crispy skin and tender, juicy meat that falls off the bone. The perfect blend of herbs and spices make this Buttermilk Marinated Roast Chicken a mouthwatering favorite of my family, I make this roasted chicken recipe again and again and we never get tired of it. Marinating a chicken overnight in a buttermilk marinade and spices is a very traditional method in the southern USA prior to frying. The buttermilk, salt, and other spices act as a brine to really infuse a tremendous amount of flavor into the chicken.
This Buttermilk Chicken Marinade recipe is perfect for almost any method of cooking chicken where you want crisp, delicious skin. Fried, oven-roasted, and Buttermilk Rosemary Grilled Chicken are all tried and true. I’m not sure I would use the buttermilk marinade for smoking chickens, I think the low temperature wouldn’t produce a crisp skin, but never say never, I may give it a try one day.
Forget to buy Buttermilk for your Roast Chicken?
Buttermilk is one of those things we do not have in the refrigerator unless we have planned on it well in advance. Luckily, I have a very simple Buttermilk Substitute recipe for just such an occasion. Because you can’t make Buttermilk Roast Chicken without it! Or buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk biscuit, etc. etc.
What to serve with Buttermilk Marinated Roast Chicken
- My Mom’s Cornbread Dressing My mom got this Cornbread Dressing recipe from a little old church lady back in 1962. Lucky for us, she’s been making it exactly the same way ever since. The ingredients: cornbread, celery, onions, and sage, are simple and make this dish a comforting classic for your roast chicken.
- Glazed Carrots My Glazed Carrots recipe is definitely a throwback to my childhood. Ever since I was a kid I’ve loved the way my Mom and Dad made carrots. Buttery and sweet, their carrots always had a bright beautiful color and they were always the perfect side item with buttermilk marinated roast chicken.
- Pommes Anna This roast chicken recipe is perfect for an elegant dinner. My Pommes Anna recipe is a simple four-ingredient gorgeous dish of thinly sliced potatoes, butter, salt, and pepper. It is as beautiful as it is delicious. This beautiful potato recipe perfect contrast of a golden brown, crispy crust and the delicate creamy soft interior.
- Pommes de Terre Boulangères Pommes de Terre Boulangères is similar to a potato gratin only without the cream, just onions, stock, and potatoes. A very beautiful side dish, who doesn’t love perfectly roasted golden brown potatoes with their roast chicken?
Here’s my Buttermilk Marinated Roast Chicken recipe:
Buttermilk Marinated Roast Chicken
- Roasting Pan
- Penzey's Spice Mix, 'BBQ 3000'
- Large Freezer Bag
- 1 4-Pound Chicken Whole or Skin-On Pieces
- 2 Cups Buttermilk or Buttermilk Substitute
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 3 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Penzeys Dry Rub 'BBQ 3000'
- Truss the chicken and place it in a large freezer bag
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the freezer bag with the chicken and coat the chicken well
- Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, 24 hours is best
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Remove the chicken from the bag and drain off excess buttermilk, strain the marinade and brush chicken with extra rosemary and buttermilk marinade
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, roast for 20 minutes, rotate pan and roast another 20 minutes
- Continue to rotate every 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer reads 165F in the thickest part of the thigh, but not touching a bone.
- Remove from the oven once it reaches 165F, brush lightly with olive oil, cover with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
For trussing instructions go ‘HERE’