This creamy white wine and parmesan spinach and mushroom sauce are perfect with tortellini. I can’t tell you how many times frozen tortellini has come to the rescue at dinnertime. Everyone needs a quick and easy 30-minute meal as a go-to when the question is asked; ‘What’s for dinner?’ Tortellini with Creamy Spinach Mushroom Sauce is one of my favorite weeknight dinners. I use cheese tortellini in this recipe, but any flavor stuffed pasta will work.
Sautéing mushrooms and boiling water is the only time-consuming part of this meal, everything else is fast and easy. I use dry herbs in this recipe to keep it mostly pantry items. Fresh ingredients include onions, garlic, spinach, and mushrooms. Ingredients I tend to buy weekly anyway. The only thing I don’t normally have on hand is the heavy cream, so I do need to have a little bit of a plan when I’m at the store. Although I use white wine in the sauce it is not required if you are opposed to alcohol or are cooking for children, chicken stock is a great substitute in the sauce.
What’s not to love about this Tortelinni recipe? Every bite creamy, cheesy, and filled with delicious sauteed mushrooms and spinach!
Tortellini Creamy Spinach Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
- Frozen Tortellini: I always have these in my freezer. They take 7 minutes to cook from frozen and are a lifesaver when it comes to throwing together a quick meal. Any flavor is great in the recipe.
- Mushrooms, Spinach, Onions, and Garlic: Mushrooms take the longest to cook so start sautéing them as you slice the onions. Once the mushrooms release their liquid and the onions are soft adding the garlic and spinach, cover just to let them wilt.
- Heavy Cream, White Wine, and Parmesan Cheese: Chicken stock can be substituted for the wine. Please use a good quality Parmesan cheese, it makes all the difference in the flavor.
- Dried Herbs: Fresh herbs work great as well, however, this Tortellini is a 30-minutes recipe. I use basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes only, simply seasoned, this sauce is absolutely the best sauce for tortellini.
Here is my recipe for Tortellini with Creamy Spinach Mushroom Sauce
Tortellini with Creamy Spinach Mushroom Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 16 Ounces Cremini Mushrooms Sliced (Baby Bellas)
- 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Crushed and chopped
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach Chopped
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup White Wine
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Grated
- 8 Ounces Tortellini 1-package, any flavor
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add enough salt so that it tastes like the ocean. Let the water get to a boil before starting the rest of the meal. Once the water is hot, heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet with a lid over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and sliced mushrooms to the skillet, saute for 5 minutes until they begin to release their liquid. then add onions and saute until softened.
- Add the tortellini to the boiling water. The brand I use takes 7 minutes.
- Add spinach and garlic to the skillet and cover to steam, about 2 minutes. Once wilted, add the heavy cream, wine, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Remove the tortellini from the water and add directly to the sauce. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cheese, stir to combine.