Finally, A Turkey Burger That Doesn’t Suck
My Guacamole Turkey Burger is made in a similar fashion to a meatball recipe. The egg and buttermilk add moisture to the otherwise dry turkey meat and help bind the ingredients. Topped with my homemade guacamole recipe, pepper jack cheese, and some good stone ground mustard. The turkey burgers are juicy and delicious and have a nice little zing from the pepper jack cheese and guacamole. Since I struggle a little bit with my weight, beef burgers, although I love them, are few and far between. My Guacamole Turkey Burger Recipe gives me a nice, healthy alternative to the beef burger, and because these have so much flavor I don’t even miss the beef. When you mix the raw ingredients together, there’s a lot of green from the parsley and chopped scallions, some kids aren’t going to like that, but it’s delicious and they’ll love it.
Guacamole Turkey Burger Ingredients
- Ground Turkey: I use 85/15 turkey for this burger recipe. Just enough fat content to help with what is normally a very dry burger.
- Egg, Buttermilk, and Panko Breadcrumbs: This is what makes these burgers juicy! When making meatballs (in this case a burger) you use a cooking technique called a ‘Panade’. It is a combination of a starch and liquid that is mixed into ground meats in order to bind them. By adding liquid to the binder, you keep the cooked protein tender and juicy.
- Herbs: A combination of dried thyme, scallions, and flat-leaf parsley add a ton of flavor to these turkey burgers. The flavors are amazing with the guacamole and pepper jack cheese.
- Salt and Black Pepper: Simple seasonings are all these turkey burgers need. Turkey is usually very bland and using salt properly makes the difference between good and bad. I have a good rule of thumb that I live by in the kitchen. A ratio of 1:1, 1-pound of turkey to 1-teaspoon of salt. It tastes perfect every time. This ratio is perfect for chicken and beef as well.
- Guacamole: My Homemade Guacamole recipe is the result of years of experimentation. Everybody has their own way of making guacamole and there are very strong opinions as to what ingredients go into an authentic guacamole recipe; lime juice or no lime juice, cumin or no cumin, etc. etc. And everybody seems to have an opinion as to the best way to keep Guacamole from turning brown. Go to my recipe and I’ll tell you what I do.
Turkey Burger Toppings
- My Guacamole recipe
- Red Onions, sliced
- Tomato slices
- Pepper Jack Cheese Slices
- Stone Ground Mustard
- Sliced Pickles
- Fresh Spinach or Arugula
- Whole Wheat Buns
Here’s my Guacamole Turkey Burger recipe:
Guacamole Turkey Burgers
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey 85/15
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Cup Flat-Leaf Parsley Finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Scallions Finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place buns cut side down in the dry pan to toast, about 1-2 minutes, check frequently. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Beat the egg in a large mixing bowl. Then add the buttermilk, panko bread crumbs, herbs, and seasonings. Mix well
- Add the ground turkey to the mixture. Use a fork to gently combine the turkey with the other ingredients.
- Add half of the oil to the skillet. Use a ½ cup, measuring cup to divide the meat into equal portions. Cook two burgers at a time, approximately 5-minutes on each side and nicely browned